Release of Leostream™ Connection Broker 6.2 Facilitates the Creation of a Complete, Scalable Virtual Desktop Infrastructure for Microsoft Server 2008 R2 and System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008; Leostream End-user Experience Pack Ensures Optimal User Experience.
Waltham, MA – August 31, 2009 Leostream™ Corporation, a leading developer of virtual hosted desktop software and Microsoft virtualization partner since 2005, today announced comprehensive desktop virtualization support for Microsoft server software. With the Connection Broker 6.2, Leostream now enables Microsoft customers to create a complete, scalable, enterprise-class virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) on Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V™. With this new release, organizations operating in a Microsoft environment can deploy the Leostream Connection Broker to build out a VDI that fully integrates with their physical existing infrastructure.
The Leostream Connection Broker 6.2, delivered as a virtual appliance, is the software management layer that ties desktop images in the data center to users’ thin client, laptop, workstation, or Web interface. It allows enterprises to provide end-users with a good virtual desktop experience. End-users can access their virtual desktop from any machine, regardless of location, due to the technology’s ability to direct users to their own virtual desktop image. IT managers can also maximize the virtualization of existing resources by easily integrating an array of clients, back-end systems and viewers. Additionally, Leostream Connection Broker 6.2 integrates with existing network infrastructure with minimal changes, including authentication services and SSL VPN systems, and provides a rich set of policies for exact implementation of business rules for users and machines.
Leostream Connection Broker has long supported Microsoft technologies, including: integration with Active Directory® services; management of Remote Desktop Services (RDS) sessions; support for Windows® 2000, Windows Server® 2003 and 2008, and 32- and 64-bit Vista® operating systems; and management of virtual machines found in Active Directory.
Leostream has incorporated into the release of Connection Broker 6.2 a wide range of new features and enhanced support for the Microsoft environment, including:
- Installation & Management
- Easy installation as a virtual appliance: A new Leostream Connection Broker virtual appliance provides native installation on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V or Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 hypervisor; and
- Native support for Hyper-V based virtual machines: Simplified discovery and machine power control.
- End-user Experience Pack: The Connection Broker provides a complete set of features to create an optimal end-user experience with Microsoft desktop virtualization software
- Windows 7 support: support for Microsoft’s new Windows 7 operating system;
- RDP 7 support: full support for the new remote desktop protocol (RDP) 7, with its high-performance enhancements such as bi-directional audio and rich graphics;
- Multimonitor support: Leostream supports multiple monitors with RDP and a wide range of additional protocols;
- USB Management: USB passthrough policies allow administrators to manage classes of devices or individual devices, depending on need. USB policies can be combined with other Leostream policies, such as location-based policies, to support the exact implementation of business rules;
- Location-based printing: Administrators can specify a list of network printers to connect to a particular group of clients based on their location. End-users can select local printers when connected to remote desktops;
- Single Sign On for RDP: Provides seamless access to all versions of Windows virtual desktops from any client device, including Windows 2000, 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7;
- User profile support: Consistently offers the same desktop to the user who travels or changes physical location; and
- Extensive flexibility in assigning users to resources such as desktops, applications and sessions: Leostream’s powerful policy capabilities are natively available in Microsoft environments.
In addition to rounding out Leostream’s long-standing Microsoft support, the Leostream Connection Broker is an independent, heterogeneous solution that has the unique ability to broker and manage connections for virtual and hosted desktops, Citrix XenApp applications, Remote Desktop Services (RDS) sessions, blades, and physical machines. The Connection Broker is an essential component for managing VDI, enabling organizations to integrate any required systems. The Connection Broker enforces granular and specific policies for exacting implementation of business rules to simplify complexity, reduce operating costs, and improve security. It scales easily to support enterprise-wide deployments and is conveniently administered through one centralized management interface.
"Organizations are evaluating desktop virtualization solutions because they can provide their workers with better security and more flexible access to data and applications, while making it easier for IT departments to control assets and provision just the right applications and data to the user,” said Dai Vu, director of virtualization marketing, Server and Tools Business at Microsoft Corp.
“Support for Microsoft technology has always been an integral component of our Connection Broker,” said Michael Palin, CEO of Leostream. “With this release, we’ve deepened and extended that long-standing support so that organizations that depend on a Microsoft environment can now enjoy the benefits of an enterprise-class VDI that takes full advantage of their existing infrastructure.”
Leostream will be demonstrating the new Microsoft features and functionality at VMworld 2009 in booth #2325.
About Leostream Corporation
Leostream (http://www.leostream.com) provides the critical connection-broker technology required for enterprises to achieve successful large-scale desktop virtualization implementations. The Leostream Connection Broker is the industry’s most widely deployed vendor-independent connection broker, enabling enterprises to integrate the complex array of clients, back-end systems and protocols required for successful virtualized desktop deployments. Hundreds of large enterprises in financial services, healthcare, government and other sectors rely on the Leostream Connection Broker to “make desktop virtualization work” and deliver the best end-user experience. Leostream is based in Waltham, Mass.
# # #
All company and product names are property of their respective owners.
Davies Murphy Group, Inc.
PR for Leostream Corporation
Kate de Bethune
Tel. 781/890-2019 x705